Today is my birthday! My…40th birthday! I can’t believe it. How did this happen? Where did the time go? What happens next? Is that a gray hair?
I have lots of questions and very few answers, even after living this long.
But one thing was clear with this impending milestone: It must be celebrated in a BIG way! So, by the time you read this, I’ll be in Spain! I know, right? It’s a country that I’ve wanted to visit for a very long time, and I’m so excited to mark this occasion there (or here, for me, because I’m here/there right now). If you’d like to follow along, you can check out my Instagram or Twitter. Or read my post-trip itinerary.
Another way I’ve been planning to celebrate this particular and monumental event is with a “reverse bucket list.” I picked up that idea from a business coach I follow, Rebecca Tracey, and it seemed very appropriate. I am a perfectionist and list-maker, so I can often get bogged down in the things I have yet to do, am behind on, or missed out on. I didn’t want this birthday to be about that. So, I’m choosing to honor this day a little differently than most might as they hit 40, and also secretly hoping it’ll help me to celebrate the wins along the way more often.
Here’s to the great life I’ve lived so far, those that have shared it with me, and the wonders that are yet to come!
My Reverse Bucket List: (in no particular order)
- Started my own business
- Traveled internationally
- Read the entire Bible
- Went skydiving
- Went on a mission trip and a humanitarian trip
- Lived in New York
- Been paid over $100 per hour
- Taken a two-week vacation
- Been in a movie (extra in Drumline), on a talk show (audience of Talk Back Live and Tyler Perry Show), in the audience for two game shows (Price is Right and Family Feud), and on a podcast (Girlfriend It)
- Attended numerous conferences I love
- Held an Oscar
- Visited my beloved California at least once every year since 2008
- Been in the delivery room for the birth of my best friend’s first child
- Seen a Broadway play (and sat in box seats!)
- Volunteer for a social justice organization
- Participated in a breakout on supply chain at an anti-slavery conference
- Walked a half marathon
- Lived and traveled by myself
- Been published in magazines
- Sponsor a World Vision child
- Was a camp counselor, and made life-long friends
- Went to state twice in high school for One Act Play (a Texas thing)
- Moved to Georgia after college, one of the best decisions I’ve ever made because it gave me some of the most amazing people I’ve ever met
- Went to counseling for two extended periods of time, something I’d recommend to everyone
- Moved away for college, meeting some of the people I still hold closest to my heart
- Participate in Lent
- Read 40+ books in a year
- Purchased a Prius
- Made it home to visit family and friends each year for the holidays
- Done the major cheesy and fun tourist activities in the cities I’ve lived in
- Participate in a fast
- Start meditating
- Found a mentor
- Was baptized and accepted God/Jesus/Holy Spirit
- Donate to my missionary friends
- Watched all five seasons of Alias in five days—yes, it’s possible!
- Learned to cook…somewhat…good enough for me
- Had corrective eye surgery
- Fought with my words, actions and spending for the rights of others
- Started this blog!