Whew—what a year! Who else is ready to show 2020 the door?
Despite the pandemic, racial injustice, natural disasters, and presidential election, you and I made it through the last 12 months. Not only that, you probably found some bright spots along the way, too.
Light moments, funny moments, poignant moments, and heartfelt moments gave us the motivation and capacity to keep moving forward. And I’ve always found that some of those feel-good moments include books.
Whether you used books to retreat from the world or shed light on it, it’s amazing what a few hundred pages can do for your life.
Here are a few books that made my 2020 a little bit better:
- Conscious Capitalism: Liberating the Heroic Spirit of Business by John Mackey and Raj Sisodia
- Company of One: Why Staying Small is the Next Big Thing for Business by Paul Jarvis
- No More Duct Tape Fundraising: The Nonprofit Leader’s Guide to Becoming an Inspirational Fundraiser by Rachel Ramjattan
- The Digital Fundraising Blueprint: How to Raise More Money Online for Your Nonprofit by Jeremy Haselwood
- The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur: The Tell-It-Like-It-Is Guide to Cleaning Up Your Business, Even If You’re At the End of Your Roll by Mike Michalowicz
- Step-By-Step Crowdfunding: Everything You Need to Raise Money From the Crowd by Joseph Hogue
- Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
- How to Be Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi (started, but not yet finished)
- Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose by Rebekah Lyons
- When God Doesn’t Fix: Lessons You Never Wanted to Learn, Truths You Can’t Live Without It by Laura Story and Jennifer Schuchmann
- I Give Up: The Secret Joy of a Surrendered Life by Laura Story and Leigh McLeroy
- Medical Medium Liver Rescue by Anthony William
- Say Goodnight to Insomnia by Gregg D. Jacobs, PhD
- Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: The Results-Only Revolution by Cali Ressler and Jody Thompson
- Advent: The Christmas Thread by Blueprint Church
- From Generosity to Justice: A New Gospel of Wealth by Darren Walker
Also . . .
My self-care routine this year largely consisted of a weekly trip to the Starbucks drive-through and listening to The West Wing Weekly. If you were a fan of the TV series, then you’ll love this homage podcast!
Here are some of my other favorite podcasts:
- Armchair Expert
- Building a StoryBrand
- Business with Purpose
- Business Boutique
- Cause Talk Radio
- Clarity on Fire
- Marketing Personalities
- New Orleans Unsolved
- Rhythms for Life
- Surviving Sarah
- That Sounds Fun
- The Enneagram Journey
- The Tim Ferriss Show
Need more reading suggestions?
Short on time, too? Try Blinkist, which recaps popular books in 10 minutes!
Happy reading (and listening)! And here’s to a better 2021!