And while I usually (read: almost always) listen to Audible books in the car, I just couldn’t do it the past couple of months. I typically like to listen to books that inform and educate me, because that’s probably the only way I’ll pick the book up. Sometimes I throw in a fiction book for good measure. But this time, I couldn’t take it. I couldn’t fit anything else in my brain. I didn’t even want to follow a storyline. I wanted to zone out (while driving safely, of course). So I turned on my iTunes shuffle and let the music wash over me.
I couldn’t believe how comforting it was! It was like manna from Heaven pouring out through my sound system. I rediscovered an old friend, a best friend. I listened to songs and albums that made my heart happy. I sang (way) out loud, relived old memories, cried fresh tears, laughed all over again and generally just enjoyed the moment. It was a fun surprise with each new song that popped up. And it helped get me through the last two months.
Thank you, music, for being part of so many great memories. I look forward to more of those moments.
Here are some of the songs and albums that drove me to my happy place:
- Any album by Caedmon’s Call, especially the early stuff
- Begin Again Soundtrack
- Chasing Daylight by Sister Hazel
- Continuum by John Mayer
- Effortless by Rita Springer
- Elizabethtown Soundtrack
- Fly by Dixie Chicks
- Fortress by Sister Hazel
- Galore by Guster
- James Taylor’s Greatest Hits
- Heavier Things by John Mayer
- Journey’s Greatest Hits
- Any Broadway Soundtrack
- Little Voice by Sara Bareilles
- Live Under Lights by Sandra McCracken
- North Point Live
- Resurrection by Nichol Sponberg
- Room for Squares by John Mayer
- Sacred Space by Steve Fee
- Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings by Counting Crows
- Saturday Night Music Club by Sheryl Crow
- Somewhere More Familiar by Sister Hazel
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland
- Somore by Guster
- Together: Songs for the Soul
- U2: 18 Singles
- Wide Open Spaces by Dixie Chicks
- 7:22 Live
What makes your list?